We are so excited for our first-ever #diversekidlit Twitter chat and are looking forward to a great hour of conversation and discussion about diverse books!
In order to give everyone the greatest opportunities to share their thoughts and to listen and respond to the thoughts of others, we wanted to release the list of questions in advance. That way, you have a jump start on thinking about your answers. (Personally, I always have a hard time thinking of things like favorite books or authors on the spot, so I like a bit of a chance to brainstorm.) Or, if you can't join us live, you can also schedule your responses ahead and participate in your own way.
Quick Twitter Chat Tips
If you've never participated in a Twitter chat before, I recommend using a site like Tweet Chat for the actual chat itself. Tweet Chat allows you to search a specific hashtag (#diversekidlit) and shows you all the posts for that hashtag. Plus it automatically adds the hashtag to the end of your posts, simplifying the process.
When responding to a question, it helps if you indicate in your answer what question you are responding to. So, for example, if you are introducing yourself, start your tweet with A1 (as in answer 1). A2 to answer Question 2, etc. (If you have other chat tips or questions, please share them in the comments!)
#DiverseKidLit Twitter Chat Questions
- 8:00 pm Introduce yourself. Q1: Why are diverse books important to you?
- 8:06 pm Q2: What are your favorite diverse picture books or books for early readers? (Use PB for picture book or ER for early reader if listing one or the other.)
- 8:12 pm Q3: What are your favorite diverse books for middle grades or for young adult? (Use MG for middle grades or YA for young adult.)
- 8:18 pm Q4: Who are your favorite diverse authors?
- 8:24 pm Q5: What diverse books or topics are you having trouble finding? (Where do you see gaps in the current offerings for diverse books?)
- 8:32 pm Q6: How do you find and evaluate diverse books? (Or, what caveats or concerns do you have when finding or featuring diverse books?)
- 8:36 pm Q7: How do you promote diverse books?
- 8:42 pm Q8: What other organizations, blogs, etc do you follow to keep up with diverse books?
- 8:48 pm Q9: What concrete actions can we take to support and promote diverse books and to help the #diversekidlit linkup reach a broader audience?
- 8:54 pm Q10: What are your hopes for the future of diverse books & the #diversekidlit linkup?
- 9:00 pm That's it! Take a deep breath or a bathroom break, then consider spending some time scrolling back through the posts and catching up on more great diverse books and ideas!
Becker's School Supplies has offered a fabulous prize for participating in our upcoming #diversekidlit Twitter chat on Monday, April 10th from 8-9 pm ET. One winner will receive all four of these wonderful diverse picture books: If Kids Ran the World; Golden Domes, Silver Lanterns; I'm New Here; and Same, Same But Different. These would make a wonderful addition to your home, classroom, or library.
We hope to "see" you on Monday, April 10th from 8-9 pm ET - and good luck!